Friday, April 16, 2010

revisiting the plan

I recently had to look over my business plan. I recall writing it on a 9 hour flight from Chicago to London (before you assume I was this glamorous lady sipping on champagne while someone offered me a hot towel, let me paint you this picture...)
I was tired, a sense of time blended in and "17 again" (-great movie btw) was playing for the 3rd time that flight. All I wanted to do was to fall asleep. However, I knew I couldn't. No, not because I was sandwiched between two people competing for "who can snore louder" but because I was going to tell my parents that I was changing my life... completely....I was going from a biweekly paycheck, to no money at all and was praying for their blessing.
I was always a good kid. I believe I got grounded once, and Im pretty sure the ground rules for being grounded never got established ("umm, dad, i know i'm grounded, but can I watch TV and call my friends?"-"sure sweetie")
I heard many times people say " you should write a business plan, it will help you". I didnt believe them, until I actually wrote one out. My mind was going 12 different directions. By putting something in writing, it helped me more than I can explain. Finally, an idea of having dancing monkeys in my store did sound like a crazy idea (ok, maybe i really didnt think i was going to have them....maybe)

So when I recently revisited my plan, it was so wonderful to see all of the ideas that I have for Sugar Snap Pea. A lot of these ideas I wont be able to share with you until the grand opening, but one thing I can for sure say, my customer is my priority.

So you, my customer and friends, what would you like to hear/read about? This blog is not just for me to ramble about puppies and flowers, misspell every word and make half funny jokes, but for Sugar Snap Pea to become your beloved go to informational friend/store. Want to hear about Charleston and great friends I am making? Done! Palmetto bugs? Done! (so not looking forward to those) Perhaps you have a great idea about how I should arrange my store, marketing ideas and great brands I need to carry. No idea is ever stupid or silly!

I obviously got my blessing from my wonderful parents. Parents, if I could clone them, everyone should have. Because of their wonderful, first and most important, emotional support, sugar snap pea is becoming what it is today. So thank those in your life, who have really been an encouragement to you! Never got an encouragement? Drop me an email, and you'll get more "atta boy/girl" than you were hoping to get.

Look forward to hearing from you all! (oh, I've started to say yall...it sounds as funny as you can imagine coming from me)

1 comment:

  1. Z, I am so proud of you! I can't wait to visit your store :) As far as suggestions, I think you should carry baby swaddles. They're a lifesaver for fussy babies who won't eat or sleep! Good luck my dear-- I know you will be a smashing success! L&L, CK

    ReplyDelete