Monday, July 26, 2010

Behind the scenes...

On Wednesday, July 21st, Sugar Snap Pea finally opened its doors. At 4pm people walked in, loved the smelly candles and beautiful flowers by Charleston Stems and enjoyed the great event thrown by Yoj Events and D'lish cupcakes. Thats at 4pm.

24 hours before, the scene looked a little different. 4pm Wednesday marked a 3rd day, and a 2nd label printer mishaps. Neither would print any price labels, and neither would talk to my computer. I previously spent a full day trying to apply my "IT" skills. That led nowhere. Then 2 days in a row, I had IT folks from all over try to assist me as much as possible. In fact, up to 1pm on Wednesday, I still had IT folks trying to figure out what was wrong. Needless to say, at 2pm, I decided to make an executive decision to hand label everything. You should have seen the store. I had amazing people help me out. From moms, holding their babies with one hand and writing prices with the other, to people hanging "GRAND OPENING" sign which they glittered the night before ( anne marie rocks) to amazing interior designers going a step beyond their duties and hanging mobiles above my counter ( which were made by Way Way and are available for custom order)

So 4:00pm, we opened the door. Everything seemed fine ( minus half of the items missing their prices, woopsies) and then my phone rang. My dad wanted to wish me a happy opening and say sorry they couldn't be there ( currently living overseas...approx 8hour time change). Then my dad said, "hang on hunny, I have to get the door for mom" and here I'm thinking, "argh dad, I dont have time to talk, I have a half disastrous store to run". So while being on hold, I continued to organize the tissue paper. Then I glance at the front door, and walks in my mom and dad. Let me start out by saying that I dont cry...usually.

I get very upset when animals get hurt. I cry at cartoons when animals die ( or they just stop drawing them). However, I cried at an on-star commercial earlier that morning. So I knew, that seeing my parents, whom I haventseen since Christmas, was all downhill from there. Everyone was crying. My mom, my dad, and everyone who witnessed this great surprise. (If you werent pregnant at that reveal, I dont know what your excuse was:)

So that was just my grand opening first hours. The rest of the night was amazing. Jenna Daniels took some professional photos, which I cant wait to see them, and will dedicate an entire post just to them! Food was amazing, company was amazing, and best of all, I thank you for your great encouragement.


I've been looking forward to this day for awhile now. I now realized that the grand opening was just the beginning to it all. Here is to great stories and the years to come at Sugar Snap Pea!



cords...confusion...and count down





at this point they remotely logged into my computer, so all i could do was tissue paper bags
and the hug.....

with more tears...happy tears.

4 comments:

  1. SO happy for you! Didn't know that your parents had made it -- what an amazing surprise and blessing for your opening night! Let that be a sign of good things to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost cried reading this- that is so amazing that your parents were able to be there to share in such a special day. I can only imagine how much it must have meant for them to be there :) I just wanted to say how incredibly proud and excited I am of and for you! I've always said if it was anyone else- they'd be crazy to up and leave one day to start a business venture- but I never doubted that you would do it- and not only that- but be successful in anything you do. I know that this store opening only marks be the beggining of so many great things in this next chapter of the Journey. Wish I could be there- Love and miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so i may have just posted the same thing twice....bc i thought it didn't go through- oops and sorry if I did :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of you my little Zhenya! You really did it and should be so proud of yourself as well. Congrats! Love you. I can't believe that you above all people would have any IT issues. Michael and I hope to visit one day. All our love, Jennifer, Michael Wegmann & Baby Sofia

    ReplyDelete